Monday, June 23, 2014

The Seven's

Trisha Brown is an iconic modern choreographer.   Her work encompasses multidisciplinary practices and is so beautiful.   Her book "SO THAT THE AUDIENCE DOES NOT KNOW WHETHER I HAVE STOPPED DANCING" served as my inspiration for my creative practice.

The book is a collection of some of her thoughts and inspirations for her dances.  In 1969 she created a work called "Skymap" for this work she used sketches she had drawn to create her floor patterns and movement for the dance.  I was so intrigued by this, I decided to try it myself.  This week I focused on the sketches.  Trisha Brown discusses that she would draw many different sketches before picking just one.  I noticed in her sketches she seemed to follow a pattern of type, but never discussed it.  Some of the sketches only have 5 lines repeated and others only having a circle.  

For my creative practice I did "The Seven's"



I challenged myself to create 7 drawings created of 7 lines.  This is my 4th sketch I am including.  It was such a inspiring practice, I really enjoyed it.  I found myself turning the paper and looking at it different ways.

I am planning on using this sketch to create a dance, much like Trisha Brown has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment