Sunday, October 27, 2013

Personal Creative Practice Wk. 1

As apart of my second class for my masters certificate I am asked to create my own personal creative practice and document it.  I have decided for this seven week journey to explore my connection with art work and movement.  Each week I will select a piece of artwork. With this artwork I will free write about the artwork, sketch/draw the artwork and create a movement phrase in my personal response with the art work.  Each week I will challenge myself to expand and change my approach for all of these.


Week 1

I had the TV on in the background one afternoon when Katie Couric show came on not paying much attention I heard the words arts and healing and I turned my attention to the show.  On the show was Mariam Paré a women was paralyzed by a gun wound, before her injury she was an artist and after her injury she continued her art by paining with her mouth.  Here is a link to the segment of the show I saw

(Please scroll down to "See a woman paint with her mouth")http://katiecouric.com/2013/10/17/molly/  


This story was such an inspiration I decided, I should try it as well.  The task was very difficult see below my painting:



The challenge was so interesting to me, I free wrote about the lose of something but finding other ways to not lose it.  I got lost in thought about control, my mouth with the paint brush was so hard to control.
After my free writing I engaged in a dance improvisation where I explored ideas like I had wrote about, only moving my arms, or my legs, or nothing.  I would continue the task until I was frustrated but once I hit frustration I found that I was moving in such a unique way, ways that I have never though of.


I challenge you to explore an art form you know and love in a way that you don't know.  What if you couldn't sing anymore or sculpt, could you find ways to still do it?


Please see Mariam Pare website for inspiration and to see her artwork.
http://www.mariampare.com
x

No comments:

Post a Comment