Friday, October 4, 2013

The Chair


This week our creative practice was The Chair, the instructions were to select a chair, observe the chair, take 4 minutes to write copious notes about the chair.  Then take 5 minutes to write from the perspective of the chair without stopping, editing, erasing or marking out.  Read your work outloud, ask yourself what does the chair "most need to say?"  Circle 5-6 sentences that ring true. After this memorize the chair monologue, add posture or movement.  Share your movement monologue.

Here is my chair monologue:




I used my desk chair, I spend alot of time in this chair, I did the exercise while sitting in the chair and on the floor.  The first four minutes were harder to me, it was harder for me to get into the flow of free writing and to write about the chair.  When I wrote from the chairs perspective it was easier.  I had alot of phrases to work with, once I decided on the once I chose, I enjoyed the challenge of being at my desk.  Having my desk and everything else there as an obstacle, I was truly in my "work" environment, I don't often think of movement there, so I really enjoyed the challenge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment