Friday, September 6, 2013

Six Word Memoir



Our creative practice this week was to write a six word autobiography, narrative of the present moment, vision statement and to explore these in another aspect of life work or health.  When I first read this assignment and article, I was so intrigued but then as I sat down to write I was lost.

Why is it so hard to be simple and concise, it reminds me of the Albert Einstein quote "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Which made me question, do I not know my self well enough or my present moment? After some journaling and using more than 6 words I got into the groove.


Some of my samples:

25 years young, 25 years old
Standing leg independent, working leg dependent
Plie tendu my life's to do
Make the list remake the list
Always searching for more, never less
Always be present always be change
Crossfit strong, children happy, always moving
Early bed early rise happy place
I talk but I should listen
"Perfect Life" not so perfect person
Failure ok but wished I believed
Six words makes you explore
Limitation create boundaries that you destroy
My Indian name "runs with scissors"
Fewer words, bigger thoughts, try it
Movement explore life movement creates life
STOP IN THE NAME OF LOVE
Explore more, question more, doubt less
My mom is my best friend



With reflection of these I started working on this phrase that I taught my intermediate/advance modern students at the dance studio.





This is the article for reference: 


Six-Word Memoirs: LIfe Stories Distilled

1 comment: