Monday, March 9, 2015

Ripping off the Band-Aid

This week we looked at Ethics & Human Nature.  A very debatable issue especially in the realm of the healthcare world.  Dan Ariely's TED Talk really struck home with me and was my inspiration for my creative practice this week.  He discusses being burned and having his bandages changed and the nurses approach of the just rip it off quick.  He reflects that he thought it would be better to approach this differently.  He then sought out to understand this and went on to many test and studies to understand the "just rip it off" approach.  What he learned was that indeed he was correct taking two hours and going more slowly would have been better than just ripping it off and having the task done in one hour.  This week I  decided to explore the idea of "ripping the band-aid off" in movement.  Allowing myself to examine the feeling of pulling and tugging.  As humans we are tactile so really allowing myself to touch and hit, in the phrase I really hit my body, you can hear the contact.  It was a very whole body experience for me.  As we look into ethics I think remembering our sense of self is so important.  I enjoyed this exploration.

https://vimeo.com/121729426

https://vimeo.com/121729426

No comments:

Post a Comment